This morning, we encountered an incident with OpenFiler server. It is this:
- We have Mac users and Windows users (and some genius Linux users :D) but they are belonged to a same group name ABCD.
- We granted write permission for all users in the ABCD group.
- When a Mac user sharing a folder on the OpenFiler server, other users of the ABCD group suppose to have all permission on that folder, but nope, they cannot do anything except read.
I investigated the folder with getfacl command:
# getfacl /mac_users/shared_folder
As you can see, the group attribute lacks of write permission.
I was googling around and found this article:
That guy had exactly the same problem with us, and he gave a solution:
- Enable inherit_owner option of samba to avoid this issue in the future with new folders
- For the old folder, after you have enabled inherit_owner of samba, you need to create a new folder, then copy over all the files and folders from the original folder.
Actually, you can just grant the write permission for the ABCD group using the following command:
# setfacl -R -m group::rwx /mac_users/shared_folder
Everything will be OK! \m/